Natural Hair

Going to the U.S. was an eye opener for me...in all aspects of my life really, but this post is dedicated to natural hair. All of my cousins in the states and their friends all have natural hair. And it is beautiful, luscious, healthy hair.
For the ladies who have travelled abroad, their main concern is how they will manage their hair during their stay. I had been told and had seen online ladies complaining about how expensive it is to get your hair done. So I decided that I would get a hairstyle that would last my whole stay there. I was shopping for a new hair dresser; one who would not take me back to the days when my hairline on the sides was non-existent. You all know the struggle. Naomi Campbell edges aren't pretty.
So I got a hair dresser. She charged an arm and a leg. Okay for us who go to  Mama Nani's salon, it was pricey, but she did an awesome job. I was getting the two strand twists with extensions or simply; twists. They were so cute and neat. This is how they looked:
These were amazing! I could style them however I wanted. Although I rarely did more than a ponytail. Needless to say by week three, some twists were falling out (the sad reality of having short hair) and the front was a hot mess.
See that hair at the front? OMG!! By week four the hair was looking awful. Even my auntie was championing for me to undo it. I was reluctant because I did not know how I would mange my hair in its natural state. My cousins 'lied' to me they would help unravel those twists. Hahaha...well, let's just say it took a whole afternoon to undo that hair with minimal assistance from my mum.

So now I was left with freshly undone hair and no hair products. I was told to try a wash and go. My hair has two textures: 4c at the front and sides, 4b at the back. For those who are yet to know those terms, it means my hair is way softer at the back than at the front. I had done my research and conclude that a wash and go was a hell no, but I just did it. The results were hilarious! No curl definition whatsoever. Just a small fro with some curly hair sticking out at the back. I do not have photos to back that tragedy, but upon returning, I realised a wash and go is not for me because my hair ends up being so so sooooo dry! Although my hair is slowly getting used to the said style, I only go to it as a last resort. These are from the third and fourth times I tried a wash and go.  The latter was when it was a last resort. It was either a wash and go or a wig.
 

You can already see the single strand knots on the hair from the picture on the left. So yeah! I have a thing of taking selfies in the car. Guilty as charged. But at least you get the drift.

Back to my travel woes. I really tried to remember what I used to do with my hair while I was back home. Then I remembered I used to plait bantu knots better known as matutas then undo them the following day for an updo. I was honestly not in the mood for all that.

I had been told that to maintain soft natural hair I had to train my hair. Before then, I had never heard of such a thing. I knew that if you were born with the steel wool typa hair you had to suck it up and love it. If you had the softer texture you combed it and flipped it. So this training thing I was not familiar with. Perhaps even you do not know what that is. Let me tell you. It is where you keep your hair moisturised as often as you can by spraying a mixture of your leave in conditioner, water and oil; then covering your head with a shower cap for as long as you can keep it for as many days in the week as your schedule allows. If you can sleep in it then do it. The end result is that you have soft, well moisturised hair.

To do this, I did some flat twists (two strand cornrows; I cannot do the three strand cornrows to save my life), then when I needed to go out I wore my wig. Yes, I had to invest in one, even though I had vowed to never own one. I got one that looks like finger coils. One day I shall get my hair to that length. Very soon I shall get a weave, watch this space. When I was not rocking my wig I wore my hair out as an afro.                                        


Then one time I did some twists. They looked like mini dreads because my hair is just that coarse...ahem!
 


 Remember I had mentioned flat twists some time back? This is how they looked. They made me feel 12 again.

Then one time I rocked a twist out. I think that lasted a day.

 
I loved the definition on the hair. I do not  think I have ever before and again (unfortunately) ever had such definition. I think it is about time I try this style again. 

The last of my woes was that time I had twists then I removed them thinking they will end up looking like finger coils only for the hair to be a flaky mess. I thought it rocked, but my mum didn't so I had to wash it and rock a 'fro the rest of the weekend. I'll let y'all decide whether you side with me or my mum on this one. I know it was flaky but it somehow still looked cool.
 
                      
I tried out as many products as I could during my stay there, and transported the same back home..hehehe!
I learnt that co-wash is not actually conditioner washing as I had thought earlier..face palm...I know...at least nilitoa ushamba!! 

I'm still learning to be patient with my hair. It has been a year and it still cannot be held in a pony tail even when straightened...sniff! But that is fine. I am grateful my hairline or rathr my edges are growing back and my hair is healthy. Keep it here for more hairscapades. Lol!



Comments

Popular Posts