Inadequacies and Insecurities

DISCLAIMER: This is my first attempt at a poem. Most of the lines don't rhyme. I couldn't even think of a suitable title. Oh well, practise makes perfect. Happy reading...

When did I become so boring?
Is it this something new or has it always been like this and I never realised it?
I could hide under the covers and say I decided to grow up very fast and do 'grown up' things
But that would be a lie because these times are not like the past times
Young people do what they love and get money from it
It is not like before when jobs were forced on people to earn a living
We now choose what we love to do and if it makes us money, even better!

I could say I chose a 'serious' course
But that does not give me an excuse to be boring
I should be the life of the party
The one who leaves people yearning, tongues wagging
Yet I am not
I walk these streets almost like a ghost
No, wait, a ghost leaves people in terror
I just move around like vapour
No effect, just there

I desire to be different
Change the cards I have been dealt
Make a difference
But  I hold back
Knowing that in some way I lack
the ways to make me hack
I am drowning
But I am not sinking
I am crying but you cannot see it

Everyday I see your record of accomplishments
I was taught not to compare myself with the rest
That my biggest competitor is me and myself
But I cannot close my eyes to this
This is too big
Too much to handle
When did you get to be this way? 
Did I miss the success bus?
Is it too late to get on?
Or was that the last bus going that direction?

I hope that it is not too late
That at some point I will realise my true destiny
That this bubble of self pity will burst
And I shall get a ride to my success
Perhaps I should enjoy the journey
And not torture myself about the future
I will find out what my true love is; my passion
The one that keeps me up till late each night and makes me arise every morning 

Up until then I shall observe you
Learn from you
See what it is that makes you tick
Hear what about you makes tongues flick
With my notebook and pen
I shall write down in red
Perhaps with a turban on my head
And I shall start my tread
Not with  a thread nor a dread 
But with a longing, a knowing that one day I shall be  what I am destined to be


Comments

Popular Posts