Will women ever be liberated?

If you have been to the University of Nairobi, School of Law, or have had a friend pass through that institution up to fourth year then you must have heard of a unit called Women in the Legal Process. It is exactly that. Looking at women in general and see what part they have played in society as employees, politicians, mothers, wives etc. We look at the theory of feminism and analyse how this played a role in the development of women empowerment in the past and the present. We also see how this is either an obstacle or a stepping stone for women in the future.

The class was quite enjoyable. We had a male lecturer who said he was pro women and their rights but the way he taught you could tell he was a chauvinist and was not doing such a great job at hiding it. As lawyers we must always look at the two in fact three sides of the coin. In this class, however, I failed to understand why we had to factor in men in the statistics. It was called Women in the Legal Process for a reason. Most if not all men in that class were of the same school of thought and so the class was always entertaining because of these particular male species.

On day of the last class, the lecturer gave us the topics he would assess on and he made a remark that got me thinking and thus was the reason I created this post. He said that in order to get good grades we had to write our statements in a manner that depicted women as the able and worthy beings that they are. So far that was good. I mean, who doesn't want As? He then said that we could go back to the way we were thinking previously. Biiiiig problem! The hell??!! Was this unit just theoretical ideologies that shall never see the light of day anywhere? Is it to say that chauvinism is here to stay forever? Our patriarchal societies shall continue to hold women back in invisible shackles for time without end. Is that it?

This really got to me because I wanted to confront him there and then in class but being a fourth year student in a public university you do not really want to jeopardise your chances of graduating with your class, so I held my tongue.

It was not long thereafter when a "friend" decided I was an agony aunt and he told me all about his relationship woes. I will not go into the gory details, but he mentioned how gross it was for a lady to sleep with many men. He reasoned men were physically built for multiple sexual partners and women were simply not. This guy was drinking himself silly and frolicking with as many girls as he could get his hands on. This was just because his girl cheated on him with his pal. Forgive me if I am wrong but is it the girl's fault that the friend agreed to pleasure her? Shouldn't he have been angry with him too? I thought it was bros before hoes but what do I know?

This guy decided that a woman with multiple sexual partners is a whore, straight up. He went on to say how he is not a chauvinist blah blah blah... I was outrightly furious! So what, most girls attach emotions to sex so it may be that when they are cheated on they get hurt. The fact remains that there are women who enjoy their sexuality and are ready to enjoy this gift with as many men as they desire. They should not have to fear that they shall be called harlots simply because they know a good thing and choose to indulge more often.
I was angry because this guy and many others like him are the ones beating their chests counting the girls that they have shagged yet they will beat up their girls if they even smile at a species with a penis. So what is this physically built to f*** many girls nonsense? It is quite ironic and quite frankly very insecure behaviour. I was mad because these are some of the men the women who have been chaste their whole lives get married to. I would hate to think that I have "kept my knees together" for thirty years only for a man who has been with all the women you can imagine, to come and ruin what I have held to be sacred all my life. We talk about virginity testing. True, there is no way to check if a male is "pure" but why are females the only people to bear the brunt if they are not virgins. This is a big double standard in matters sexuality that irks me to the fibre of my being.

Someone told me that a young Professor was looking for a wife who had too be a virgin. I asked, " Is he a virgin?" And the response I got was rather disappointing. I was told that there cannot be two virgins in a relationship because one had to teach the other the ropes. I disagree with this theory because I feel sex is something that should be explored by a couple together. So that each knows what the other likes. But what do I know, I am a young naive girl with a vagina. It is the crotch grabbing pricks who rule the world. I have to sit down and listen to what these 'brilliant' minds have conjured for a better tomorrow.

This post was in relation to sexuality. It is in no way complete because sometimes women we are our own worst enemy. If we could just be our own cheerleaders, we would not be talking about these and many other issues that affect the female species.

How I wish we could go back to the days when the world was matriarchal. Oh yes, it was. And it soon shall be. Women have realised that they can take back control through the very thing that makes them the weaker sex. No....not through coitus. That is a topic for another day.

Comments

Popular Posts