Naturalista

I decided to go natural a few months back. This was after the realisation that my relaxed hair was not so healthy, and also, seeing Wambui’s (Elani….but do I say…ahem!) and her sister Wamaitha’s hair. It was at Wamaitha’s wedding. I cannot really say what hairstyle it was, but they really made having natural hair look absolutely sexy!

Thank heavens for Orange and their double bonus bundles promo or whatever that was, because I would not have otherwise been in a position to download all those videos I did on flat twists, natural hair, transitioning, how to care for natural hair etc etc.


I followed all the natural hair gurus there are. And even though most had a softer smoother kind of hair, I believed rocking natural hair was something I could hack. Furthermore, I loooove hair, so I was up to the challenge.

The original plan was to transition, from relaxed to natural hair. That worked out well for a month. I even bought curl thingies. I don’t know whether I should call them curl rods, but I used them once. I did an actual straw set. It came out pretty well. 
This was on May 3rd 2014: my mother’s birthday. The straw set was actual straws…I kid you not. 
Here is another glance at the ‘do…
I over-smiled in this pic...lol.
I was enjoying my transitioning. As I watched series, I styled my hair. So one day this is what I came up with….flat twists. This was still some time in May.

The left side was horrible…but the right was pretty okay…I had even learnt to accessorize…Go me!!
At the beginning of June, I got tired of handling two textures. Yes, I had ditched the salon completely. I took a pair of scissors and chopped that relaxed hair off. Now I got even crazier with my hair. I did a Mohawk!

I got internship end of June so that was the end of my wacky hairstyles. But I did accessorise. Who am I kidding? There is no way I would smile for the camera at 5am or 8pm. So during my 8-5, I took no pics. The weekend, however did get me in a somewhat happy mood. So when I thought I was looking all beautiful and things, (I stole that from a movie. Okay, maybe I missed a word but you get the point.) So here are some of the few I took…

I had gelled my hair up in the front. This was the day I was going to see Winnie’s baby, Tammy in hosi. By then her name was Wendo. J Traction alopecia had really taken a toll on my hairline (hair bloggers and vloggers call them edges.) but well, I rocked the TWA!

I did some bantu knots (matuta) and undid them the following morning. And I took my head bands and came up with this style. Unfortunately I did not take an aerial photo of my head so y’all just have to imagine how ragged looking the hair was…
Maybe not so much ‘cause you can see from the sides….lol
 

 Or the top…my hairline has improved. This was a Saturday, 16Th August, before attending my baby cousin’s itega or rather naming ceremony.

I have rocked twist outs and braid outs loads of times. Unfortunately I did not take as many photos with my other tuaccessories, but this will do…

My internship was over on the last week of August, and I was dying (literally) to try out finger coils. It looked amazing on 3a and 4a type of hair, but mine is 4c with a little 4b at the back. I had a whole (still do, actually) tub of gel so I had to make use of it.

On Monday, the 1st of September 2014, I washed and conditioned my hair, and then I sat down and began working on my hair. Two hours later, with 24 as my company, I finished my new do. When the gel had dried, I realized my hair looked more like dreads than finger coils. The rebel in me was just oozing out! Hehehe…well, I didn’t take photos until Thursday and even then I was not really into it, but somehow I managed to smile. (R.I.P. Auntie Pauline-We miss you so much. Breast cancer, you are so heartless)
Finger coils…..
 

The way them hairs be standing up…lmao! So, this is my sort of update on my naturalista life. I won’t go into the nitty gritties of how to do what and how today, I shall bore you with that next time. xoxo
   


Comments

Popular Posts